View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Lack of disciplie and going against your instincts.

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the reply yoshi, but that was more poker strategy orientated, as opposed to a psychological view of the situation. (my mindset, and why i went against my instincts)

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to recall all the previous times you've been in a very similar situation...

(in this case: you have a strong holding w/ limited hands you're 2nd best to, yet are facing massive strength from a player who is neither capapble of bluffing here nor overplaying a worse hand thinking it is good)

Forget about the times you snapped off a bluff on the river when villain's line was wack - that doesn't apply here. Try to only focus on this specific "feeling" (not in terms of supernatural instincts, but the "feeling" you get from being in this situation before). Now try to recal the times you called and were in fact beat, versus the times you called and were actually best.

A lot of times when I'm really focused on my playing, I will face this situation and my stomach literally "drops" as I contemplate a call here. I'm not a phychologist, but I believe it's my mind preparing for an uncomfortable situation (where I've now made a call I can't rationally support, and to no surprise my hand was no good).

What I'm trying to say is remember that not all river decisions (should I call or not?) are the same. Try to use your past experience to link this river spot to others similar ones from your past, and what the outcomes were.

Hope this helps a little. I think this is an interesting thread. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]