View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Details for WSOP Circuit Event August 29, 2007 thru September 13,

Yep, my feelings exactly, and I actually do quite well in these type of events.

In fact, last March, I finished 13th out of a field of 713 at the Ceasars Indiana WSOPCE (Event #1) (My pocket queens did me in at the end, where I had to go all in because I was then short stacked, and the BB ended up with A/J o/s and called me. Yep ... you guessed it, he spiked an Ace on the flop, and I was done for).

This because I find that most of the other players don't know what I know, or don't have experience with this type of structure (which is):

1) These type of structures reward the good player who is patient.

2) Most players are used to playing events where the rounds at best raise every 20 min, so they think they are short stacked far sooner than they really are.

3) Many players are used to playing in deep stack poker events (IE; Your mention of where you play, they give you 5k in starting chips), and combined with what I mentioned in #2 above, think 2k just isn't enough chips to start with, so they donk off their chips with their (over) agressive play, instead of realizing they can afford to be patient and wait for a hand to come to them.

Now, that all said and done, I am working on playing better myself in deep stack poker events, without the 'weath factor' doing me in.

The Wealth factor is where because you have more chips than you are used to playing with normally, you call hands you have no business being in the first place with (simply because you are thinking that you have 'extra' chips in your stack).

Thus for right now, 2k in starting chips, with these blinds (and how slow they rise), is perfect for me and my style of play.