View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: So I\'m getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas?

so here is a bit of advice from a local....

As many people have already said, all that a local bookie has is his reputation. If word gets out that he doesn't pay or pays slow it can cripple his biz. So what you need to do is get in touch with him by any means. You know he has a legit biz, so depending on the type of biz approach the company as a new vendor/customer, someone that would need to speak directly with the owner. Call him 10 times a day if thats what it takes. When you get him on the phone, don't threaten to go to the cops or anything like that. Tell him that you expect to be paid in full ( no vig ), but you understand if that will take him some time, see what he is willing to offer. Most bookies do not want their names tarnished, this 80k could cost him 100s of future action. The fact that he has a legit biz that you know about shows that he was never planning on screwing you to begin with, otherwise he never would have exposed that info.

I would say about 90% of locals these days are actually just middlemen for offshore books. They go out an get the customers, handle the collection and payouts, and get a piece of the players net loss from the offshore book. The fact that this guy was giving you even money 6pt teasers shows that he was not laying it off or in bed with an offshore, none of them offer that, trust me. So this means that he is more than likely just a guy who thought that " the book always wins" , and was keeping the action himself. He might be broke, or at least cash poor , but he has a legit business that presumably makes money. Tell him to put you on the salary at his company as a no show job for 2k a month. There are huge tax advantages to him, and you can show some legit income for all the money you have made slapping him with your wong. Even if you only get 1 or 2k a month from him its better than getting nothing.

If he refuses to work with you then you should go back to the channels that hooked you up with this guy. If your pal vouched for you with this bookie, and you didn't pay, your pal would be on the hook for your debt. The same thing goes for the flipside. Have your pal contact bookie and say, " what you are doing is wrong, and you know it. This will ruin your future business with not only me but also everyone else that I have sent to you". Hopefully your pal is a big customer that bookie will not want to loose.

If none of this works, and you are not willing to hire thugs to go get your money, you chalk it up as a loss and tell everyone you can not to deal with the guy.