View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Programmers, help fight the UIGEA from the bottom up.

I have some technical background... let me give this a whirl here...

Well as for the P2P system were there would be no "central server" i am not sure how that could work, and if it did i would think it would require all players at a particular table to have a connection to all the other players individual data so that the table could operate on all PCs without there being a central server and then transmitting the incremental changes as they occured to all PCs... this would be really rediculous even if it were possible and would lead to serious security issues for players as all players hole cards would be encrypted somewhere on each players machine...

As for the system of hosting your own small poker site from your connection i see many problems.
First of all even to host 3 or 4 tables of players all playing at once would not be possible on most PPLs PCs today, you would need something much more robust to handle all the connections and each individual game in a timely manner.
Second we are forgetting our coveted random number generators that our expensive sites have spent oodles of money perfecting, i believe Stars uses a hardware based mechanism that takes random polling of environmental readings in the immediate room surrounding the servers to "seed" its complex RNG... this just wouldn't be possible for each individual hoster therefore leading to a compromised game or atleast not as random as other online solutions. This would be much like the video games you can play on the PC now like the WSOP game, which is internet multiplayer enabled.
Third your internet connection just wont handle more than about 1 table worth of players connected to you at once, if that. The poker sites we all play on spend THOUSANDS of dollars per month to pipe in huge amounts of bandwidth to handle players.

This is a good fight and i commend you for taking it up, however this just wont be possible while maintaining the same amount of game integrity we gain from sites like Stars and FTP IMHO.