View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Explain to an idiot the benefits of going back to the Gold standar

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the main disadvantages of the gold standard is that it artificially inflates the value of gold. The total amount of gold that has ever been mined is estimated at ~125,000 tonnes.[1] At the current gold price of around USD $640 per Troy ounce, or around $20,000 per kilogram, the value of this entire planetary stock would be USD $2.5 trillion, which is less than the value of currency circulating.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gonna take a whole lot of extra gold mining to get there from here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see the fallacy here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You (I should say most people on this board, but not necessarily you since I don't know what you want) seem to desire an actual honest to goodness Roman-style gold standard (either physical coins made out of gold, or, more practically, a bunch of dollars representing physical gold bars in a vault somewhere), and that's going to run into a problem. If you want your money only partially backed by gold, the difference between fiat and "a bank must be able to redeem X% of its notes in gold bullion on the spot" is a bunch of bank vaults unless X% is so large that it runs into the same problem again, so I don't see your objection having any practical meaning.