View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: National Novel Writing Month Throwdown

I started a novel! I'm thinking of a good title for it. Anyway, I think this shows potential.

"Yes, sir. I will see to it."

With those words, Dennis quietly left, his long cape billowing behind him. Gareth, Eugenia, Sir Jacky and I remained clustered around the table, studying the faded map. Times were desperate. Outside our bunker, tanks rumbled by, their tracks beginning to rust from lack of repair. Our supply lines were precarious; while we were in no danger of starvation, our equipment was in a sorry state, and ammunition was low.

The scene inside the bunker was no better. Not only were the walls not coated with a luxurious patina of aged designer paint, but the ball bearings on our chairs were inadequately lubricated. Sir Jacky sighed.

"I don't need to tell you about our situation, men and women. We face impossible odds, for Sauron has the ability to raise the dead. Every soldier we lose becomes a lifeless doll for them to command. And the Chancellor has summoned all the knights of the land to a bowling competition. The fort is in your hands, Garcia."

I watched as Sir Jacky stood up and donned his platemail. With a heavy sigh betraying the great stress he was under, he pat me lightly on the shoulder. "You can do this, Garcia. You are a bad enough dude to save the nation."

Sir Jacky mounted his trusty Friesian warhorse, holstered his laser pistol, and rode off towards the Capital. Gareth and Eugenia looked at me uncertainly, waiting for my command. I hesitated. My decision would determine whether our fort would hold out heroically, becoming a beacon to the demoralised soldiers, or whether it would fall like a rum and coke served in a champagne glass to a drunk guy.