View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Talk About Family

I think one of my big problems with family are my unrealistic expectations. Don't get me wrong, my expectations are pretty low. I would like them to ask me how it's going, maybe even include me in their little outings or their little whisper sessions in the back bedroom. I can't believe my family still whispers. What the hell are they talking about? They all do it. I'm wondering if this is normal.

Like I mentioned in Kilgore Trout's thread, being the youngest I feel kind of transparent. I'm often the one that ends up baby-sitting while my sisters go shopping or out to the book store to buy each other gifts.

When I go to see my mom (which is not very often) she never wants to sit and laugh, and she never asks me how I'm doing. She asks very specific questions and they're almost always about finance or sunscreen. Usually she'll come over to the sofa and sit down a little too close to me and look me in the eye and then say "Katy, how much money have you managed to save this year? How much of it have you put in your mutual fund?" I'm like "Mom do you mind? I'm trying to watch LOST." Then she gets all pissy and sits there frowning. There's never any talk of "how do you like your job?", "where are you going on vacation this year" or anything like that. She would be happy if I never went on vacation.

Now I'm depressed. I feel like getting a rope.