View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: HELP! (personal/low content)

How does this look, for a potential certified letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently received a criminal complaint informing me of my hearing scheduled for 1/29/08, for offense code M. G. L. ch. 234A, sec 42 (Non Performance of Jury Service).

I would like to take this opportunity to express that I consider myself a good and honest citizen, with nothing but respect for judicial procedure and our American ideal of trial by jury. I am both shocked and embarrassed to have left the court with reason to charge me of such misconduct.

According to the complaint form, the offense occurred on 03/18/04. I was a full-time college student at this time, living in New York state. I can assure you that I have no recollection of being summoned for duty during that time, and if I did know about it I certainly would have been sure to inform the court that I was attending school out of state.

Since college, I have lived permanently at my New York address, and pay my income tax as a New York resident. I am perfectly willing to verify my New York residence in whatever form the court may request.

I regret not having my mail forwarded or diligently screened for me during the time I've been living in New York. Though, I am at a loss to see the fairness behind a criminal charge of Non Performance when I was not living in the state nor even aware of my requested presence. So I am asking graciously for the court's understanding in this matter, and help for how I might proceed in resolving it.

I am willing to cooperate fully if there is any way to resolve this matter out of court. I am proud of my clean record, and certainly do not want to see it tarnished by a situation like this.

Please let me know what options are available to me, and I graciously appreciate your time and help.

Any advice?