View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Borgata 5/10 and 10/20 NL developments

I don't think they're leveling. Plenty of people actually think this way. That's why Ed Miller has a column about it in the latest CardPlayer (not yet online so I can't post a link yet).

Here's my attempt at explaining it. If Brad Booth (or anyone) bought into my local 1/2NL game for a $1M (assume it was unlimited), he doesn't scare me and my $100 any more than another good player with $101. I only have to worry about my $100, not the $999,990 that I don't even have. Maybe I'm even scared less because if I know he's going all in on a wider range of hands (i.e., playing big stack poker), I am more confident my hand is good if I call with something like QQ. I only have to analyze that one hand that I have against his all in. If he does it to me again later, it will still be a decision for my $100, $200, or whatever it will be at the time -- independent of whatever happened before. I'll be glad to call him all day in a cash game when I think I usually have the best hand. If you don't believe you would look forward to every situation like that, please read TOP again.

I'm not saying that's how Booth would play it. He wasn't playing big stack poker in the hand with Ivey either. In that hand, it was one of the first hands Booth played. Phil said it himself -- he didn't know how Booth was playing. If he continued to push his stack around, Phil or someone else would eventually snap off one of his bluffs. He took advantage of a particular situation, not his big stack.