View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is grossly immoral not to utilize cloning technology to replicate the world's most intelligent people.

The amount of suffering, death, and irreversible environmental damage that will occur because we refuse to artificially inflate the world's supply of universal geniuses is...immeasurable. And allowing it is grossly immoral.

Am I wrong? AM I WRONG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say, you're probably wrong. I work in the dairy industry where cloning is already a reality, and thousands of genetically superior have been selected, gene banked and cloned.

The results have been less than expected. In general the genetic merit of animal is assumed to be equal to clone siblings, however the deviation of the actual performance compared to the total population of daiy cattle has yet to conform to the superior genotype of the animal.

With dairy cattle, where the performance pedigree's are measured with a high degree of precision across close to 100 genetically industry relevant traits for the past 80 years spanning 40+ generations of animals, for cloning not to show any signifigant deviation from the total population with highly heritable traits does not bode well for the human population that would use cloning to benefit human traits that have a near unknown heritability.

Now, if we were to follow the path dairy cattle have taken for the past 40 years to improving the total populations performance, that would be another story. What is this marvelous technology you ask? Simple, breeding by selection of heritable relevant traits, a lower inbred coefficent, and a lower generation interval. We could start a national database that regularly tests relevant performance, database the results and only breed people based on the above three criteria through artificial insemination (AI) and multiple ovulation embryo technology (MOET). The AI database would catalog and index the performance of male progeny and siblings according to relevant traits, while the the breeders would match the traits to the female population. Then we could use a MOET procedure to help lower deviation and generation interval by using a younger age. Then use the female population that ended up at the wrong side of the bell curve as recipients for the superior donors. Obviously, a sterilization program must be implemented on average and below average males.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have anything to add here, but thx for sharing your experience/thoughts. Very interesting, I had no idea this much application of genetic engineering was already "in the trenches", so to speak. I like this too:

[ QUOTE ]
Can humanity survive without maximizing genetic merit from generation to generation? Can humanity even accept the pinciples to maximize their survival?

[/ QUOTE ]