Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Newbie Question

I've just started out in Hold-Em and have a few questions I'd like to ask. Hopefully I get some answers and be on my way to a (hopefully) successfull career playing.

I've been playing for just over a year now. Started at 2/4 limit and have done ok managed to get my poker stash up to not great, but holding steady anyway. I know there's still a lot to learn.

Been reading SSHE and really like what the book advocates. Started on Hold-Em For Advanced Players... decided I wasn't quite ready for that....

On to the questions:

1. Counting Outs: can anyone suggest or do they know of a program that lets you practice counting outs?.. I'm really having a hard time with that. The basic ones I can figure out but something like 75o with a board of Ac 4d 6s... how do you count you outs and be correct?

2. Counting bets: it's a lot easier to see what the pot size is Online but live I really have a hard time deciding if the pot justifys calling or not. Also, how do you count the bets? If there's three callers, you call, sb/bb call; total bets is 6sb or 5.5 sb?... how do you count that and any futher betting especially in the later rounds?

3. Pot odds: how do you determine pot odds by counting bets? sounds simple but I'm still learning and making to many mistakes I think.

4. Using pot odds: probably another simple thing, but I'm making to many mistakes. If I'm drawing to the nut straight with 4 outs how do I figure all that out so quickly? pot odds have to be greater than 10.5 to one to call... how do I do this? is there a simpler way? am I missing something?.. is there something I should already know when I sit down?

A long post but thanks for taking the time to read and helping a noob.

Steve