View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Raise sizing with multiple limpers

i'm kinda tired rite now and this is my last post b4 goin to bed so i'll try to be short.

the problem might be u tryin to standard raise w/ too many hands in that late position w/ 6 limpers situation. if u have a 1500 stack, blinds @ 25/50 w/ 6 limpers and u on the button then there's already 375 chips (takin blinds into consideration) in the pot. that represents 25% of ur stack. instead of tryin to make a "normal" raise w/ AK, QQ, or JJ why not push? (i'm not includin AA or KK there b/c those still play very well against 2 opponents). there's a lot of time and math effort i've put into this but like i said i'm very tired rite now so i won't go into details as to why it is a better play, just try it urself or plain trust me on it. a lot of times in these low stakes online MTTs u'll get a caller w/ a smaller pair or a weaker ace (maybe even a KQ or KJ) and if they all fold then u just increase ur stack by 25% which is huge.

also, r u makin this raise w/ medium pairs? if so, try limpin for set value instead. doin it w/ AQ? stop immediately then and limp w/ the rest of them.

one last thing. ur general raisin strat is pretty standard and solid but don't live and die by it all the time. like everythin else in poker preflop raisin is dependent on the circumstances. pay very close attention and get a feel for the table. if it's a straightforward table then ur theory might be fine, but u'd be surprised at how many times a smaller raise is just as effective.