View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Flop

In just looking at it real quickly and not reading any responses yet, here's what i think as per the questions posed:

1) A lot of people talk about playing tight early and don't try to steal blinds when they are this small. What do you think about blind stealing at this level? Would you do it and if so under what conditions? <font color="red"> I don't mind to raise a certain % of the time here. In order to do it I must be confident I'll have position throughout the hand. The raise is not to try to steal the blinds. I see three purposes to a raise here a) steal the blinds plus the preflop call or b) make a very disguised hand in position and win a big pot with it c) See how the blinds react to a preflop raise from late position and plan to use that information to your advantage in the coming rounds. And that is worth alot more than the blinds. </font>

2) What's your decision on the flop? Do you check or bet (and if so, how much)? <font color="red"> I'd make what looks like a standard CB of 1/2 to 2/3 pot. I'd bet most missed hands here the same way, unless I miss and decide that checking behind may allow me a more successful delayed CB or induce a bluff on the turn where I can raise him off his hand. You will sometimes bet a missed hand here and get c/r and have to fold, so when you hit--this is where your equity makes up for those times and makes this a +EV play preflop. We're almost certainly ahead and hope to induce a raise from an inferior hand. Maybe he c/r T9/J9/A7/A5 here, calls or c/r A/J, or maybe he slowplayed a big pair (who knows). You are in a position to punish him for calling. </font>

3) What's your plan on the turn (if any) based on your decision on the flop, the villain's action, and what card comes? <font color="red"> Not knowing the opponent, there aren't many hands that worry me too much here. Obviously he COULD have anything like a set or flopped a straight, but it's unlikey. He most likely would have bet or c/r a heart draw so a heart doesn't stop me from betting the turn especially since he may have one heart in his hand and pick up a draw so I certainly want to bet. A nine is probably the worst card. I'd prefer to see a high card like an ace or jack, as he is very possibly on two overs. I'm betting most turns here. I may check an undercard like a 2,3,4 to induce a bluff/control pot size for the river. A nine would be a bad card, I might bet/fold there. I also wouldn't like a 6 or 8 too much. </font>

4) Any other thoughts at this point? <font color="red"> Going back to why we raised, part b, we have hit a disguised hand in position against one opponent. This is one of the reasons for raising and we have our hand now. But also realize that while it is almost certainly ahead, it is also a very vulnerable hand. </font>