View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: In the case against religious theism, what is so damning...

[ QUOTE ]
Splendour has me pissed. If he's a troll, he's good at it. But he's one of a kind. Even Sharkey didn't have me this much on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Walk up to a homeless person sometime that you see having a confrontational argument with a chain link fence. Try to have a discussion with them.

You'll get precisely as far as you will with any theist, but the homeless person won't have that trained smug attitude about their side of things that is so frustrating.

If I came on here and started saying that electricity were a myth, and that it were really gremlins that caused those effects, I'd be shot down. If I then started quoting 300 year old documents from "scientists," I'd still be shot down and laughed at.

If every single time I were smug about it, and appealed to some high-brow "how do you really know?" sort of argument, mixed in with some poetic quotes from various sources, it would do little but to annoy people. People would eventually start ignoring me.

If what I said were attached to some established religion, then the arguments would continue forever. Kind of like this forum.