View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: The start of a hand?

There are the rules about how long you have to contest a hand. The statute of limitations there is often "until the first riffle of the next hand", and that's what's in Robert's Rules. So yes, there is some precedent to that being "the start of the next hand". But there are other rules that pick different cutoff times. Robert's Rules say you can buy chips "before cards are dealt" but doesn't specify exactly what he means by that...first riffle, final cut, first card off the deck, first card to the player... I don't see anything specific. Common practice is "until you get your first card" or "until SB gets the first card". Which is also the cutoff for deciding you don't wanna play your blind.

I really don't see a need for a specific, single definition of "the hand has started". I like the rules saying "the cutoff for dealing with THIS is the riffle" or "you must buy chips or announce your intention prior to the first card being dealt off the deck." Beats saying "the end of the hand" or "the start of the hand" and then having a one-size-fits-all attempt at defining that.