View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: You know you might be a 5CD fish when ...

[ QUOTE ]
... you raise with position, get called by the one of the blinds, who draws one while you take 2 to your AAKxx ... and don't bet out after the swap when checked to.

If you do that, you might be a 5CD fishie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree with what you call "fishie," in the sense that fishiness to me means limping in, playing big underdog hands pre-draw, calling too often. If you see a player miss a bet, I'd call this more "too tight."

Perhaps explain more where you see the value in this bet. I'm not disagreeing with you, but rather than make this thread a Foxworthy-style ("you might be a ...") those of us newer to the game might as well learn something.

So, is this a pure value bet to you, or are you hoping to get a weak 2-pair to fold?

What percentage of the time do you think you'll win if called here? 10%? 30%? 50%?

Assuming a "standard read" on the player, I assume you advocate folding to a check-raise 100% of the time?

To the other point in the thread:
[ QUOTE ]
When you draw 2, you look like you have trips. The blinds drawing and calling one means they have a come hand or two pair. Betting here unimproved will often get a fold because the villain believes you have trips. Of course, you should bet for value if you improve as well. When you draw 2, you look like you have trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often is this "representing trips" line going to play? Again, this is a serious question. Plenty of players are keeping kickers, no?

Let's talk generally. Over a lifetime of play, if I automatically assumed every player who open-raises & draws 2 had a set and folded any hand 222xx and worse, would this be a net loss or net gain for my bankroll? Ignore corner-case reads like "only open-raises sets" and "raises any 2 when drunk."

Thanks for your thoughts, all.