View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

We've seen quite a few movies recently, so here are a few, some of which I'd of course seen before:

"Lust for Life" - Classic about Vincent Van Gogh, starring Kirk Douglas. Very well done, I thought.

'Vincent and Theo" - More modern film, also about Van Gogh, directed by Robert Altman, also very good. How can Van Gogh not be everyone's favorite artist?

"And Then There Were None" - Old adaptation of Agatha Christie's "Twelve Little Indians." We see this every couple of years because the kids love it. It really is quite entertaining, and must have been the prototype for many murder mystery movies.

"Rear Window" - Great Hitchcock film with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelley. One of the greats.

"Water" - Absolutely stunning visually, with fantastic images of India. Good story too, and a soundtrack I ended up downloading. Recommended.

"The Beauty Academy of Kabul" - Documentary about a beauty school set up to train Afghani women to be hair dressers. A few visually beautiful shots, and a good look at bombed out Kabul. Interesting enough to hold your attention, and moving in places.

"Breakfast at Tiffanys" - I'd seen this years ago, I think. But I remembered nothing of the story, and was surprised to find out how sad it really was. Audrey Hepburn's character is just barely out of touch with a profound emptiness which her lifestyle creates. But her look and style are iconic.

"Thank You for Smoking" - A good look at how propagandists work. Check out the global warming deniers for more.

"Dazed and Confused" - The first time I saw this, maybe 12 years ago (?), it didn't do much for me. This time I loved it. Perhaps because I was that much more removed from the '70s, and more nostalgic for them, I felt it really captured the essence of high school when I was there. Much fun.

"Winchester 73" - A 1950 western with Jimmy Stewart. Very much a classic, with several elements that I think were copied in subsequent films. Tight, clean story which doesn't get boring if you like westerns at all.

"Who Killed the Electric Car?" - I saw this in the theater with one of the most notorious, but best posters on the Politics forum. We both liked it. And wacki says it's the car of the future.

"The Great Escape" - Always riveting from start to finish.

"Take the Money and Run" - Woody Allen's first film, I believe. Still funny, though it made me laugh more when I was about 16.

"Lost in Translation" - Not bad. Good performance from Bill Murray. It effectively conveys a sense of emptiness. Not sure I'll ever to see it again though.

Several others, but I'm tired. :-/