View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: $50NL, JJ Overpair OOP Getting Called Down

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG ($57.90)
MP ($26.80)
CO ($48.90)
Button ($65)
jb ($52)
BB ($102.60)

Preflop: jb is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">jb raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($5.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">jb bets $4.25</font>, UTG calls $4.25.

Turn: ($14) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">jb bets $11.25</font>, UTG calls $11.25.

River: ($36.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

No stats yet on villain my only read is he waited to post and topped off his stack immediately after going through the blinds.

Is my only real choice here to check and see how he responds?

[/ QUOTE ]

grunch

I much prefer value-shoving to checking. Based on his play, I think his range is {boat/quads,mid PP that just doesn't believe you,JT,QT,QJ}. There's plenty in there that might look you up and I hate folding that river to a shove. Checking just lets the T's and mid PP's out for free but loses to either monsters or bluffs, depending on whether you c/c or c/f. I even see people call down with AK-unimproved all the way. Who knows what they think they're beating at that point.

Plus, if you're beat, you can always hit your open-ender on 6th street.

EDIT: If the river is the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check. That ten made a second-best hand for a decent chunk of his range. If it were just monsters, missed draws, and those stubborn PP's, my guess is you'd get more value out of checking to induce a bluff.