View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Aussie Needs Your help ... A happy mod is a good mod (LC)

[ QUOTE ]
5. task manager in itself uses a chunk of CPU. doh.
6. i have an ADSL2+ connection...i Get in excess of 5G up and 700M down. I cant see this being an issue i know ive 'disconnect protected' at least once but that was when the laptop totally locked up right (as I raised AA UTG preflop which held up to take down some of the pot)

[/ QUOTE ]

Point 5: one of the worst wastes of CPU is moving your mouse. Put up the graph of CPU usage and wiggle it. See what I mean?

Point 6: I hope you got these two backwards, but that's a niiiiiice connection. How much you pay for that?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know, I can setup a bind cache on my computer that'll solve the problem, I'm just too lazy to do it ATM.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, what exactly is a bind cache. should I try it? should (and how) should I check my dns stuff? this is all making me feel like such a noob [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

TL;DR version: if you're running XP or Vista, don't worry about it.

This is uber-geekery. bind (pronounced "bin-dee") is the daemon in *nix that provides DNS services. You probably get DNS from your ISP (so do I). Every time you put "http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/...", or any other address, in your browser, your computer asks the DNS server for the IP address that maps to the host "forumserver.twoplustwo.com" or whatever. The problem is, your computer is like a child: every time it gets the answer, it immediately forgets it, so the next time it has to ask again. EVERY TIME. Typical DNS lookup times are in the 30-60ms range, so you don't really notice it compared to the time that it takes the server, once you find it, to transmit the data you're requesting. However, now make that DNS lookup take 5 seconds and oh, Mary, mother of GOD it's slow!

If you're running *nix, it's a fairly trivial matter to set up bind running on your system in "caching" mode, which means that every time you make a DNS request the computer remembers what it already found out. (It's even more trivial now than it used to be, using a little thing called dnsmasq.) However, iirc WinXP and Vista both have a DNS cache built in, so it's probably not an issue for you.