View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Response to Sklansky\'s article \"Chips Changing Value in Tournament

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read Snyder's book, but, from what I heard others quote, it's more of a cookbook style of book. And I suspect that I will also get something out of it, once I bring myself to buy it.

I suspect after you've mastered, or think you've mastered Snyder's book, and go back to Harrington's book, you'll discover there was a lot more there than you initially realized.

[/ QUOTE ]

George,

I want to respond to some of your older posts, but won't have the time to do so until tomorrow. Responding to this one doesn't take a lot of thought(especially since I'm mostly agreeing and reinforcing what you've already said).

I think you're right in categorizing some books as theoretical and others as more of a cookbook. Snyder's, while a cookbook, does address that, mainly in a chapter he calls "Breaking the Mold." In that he points out that anyone who always conforms to a cookbook style (whether The PTF, Kill Phil, Harrington, or whatever) is going to stall in their development as a player. He feels, and I agree, that the PTF is a good foundation to start from. I also think that Harrington is an excellent place to build a strong foundation. I started with Harrington myself. I've read both (HOHx and The PTF) multiple times and get something new out of both each time through. I think the more theoretical books are good in helping to identify concepts, ideas, and situations where a departure from a cookbook style might make sense. Without a basic foundation (probably from a "cookbook") they're hard to translate from theory to practice.

Your comment about reading the same thing presented in a different way sometimes leading to a break-thru in understanding is exactly what happened for me from reading Snyder's book. His discussion of position, cards, and chips and, more importantly, how they interelate has led to an vast improvement in how I analyze whether to continue in a hand and, if so, how to proceed. His player categorization scheme has also been a big help.

Regarding civil discourse, I don't think you've been a culprit and hope I haven't been either - I don't think I've gone over the line yet. Disagreement and pasioned debate is what these discussions should be about. But I do think those who say the discussion has gotten out of hand at times are absolutely correct.

Al