View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Is set over set normal in omaha?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the statisitics on this but it doesn't happen very frequently.

However, what you need to know is this, if you have bottom set and you have a board that really dosen't look like the villian is on a straight or flush draw, and they actually reraise you -- very likely the villian has a higher set -- best to fold.

If you have a board with straight and flush draw and you have bottom set and villian reraises you --- fold.

Middle set is what is the bummer... haven't learned exactly what to do with this myself... but bottom sets are killers -- be willing-- more than willing-- to kiss them goodbye in my opinion... more trouble than they are worth!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Janelle, good to see you helping out in the Beginners Forum (PokerBarnett from the Beginners game on Monday here).

I do agree, however disagree with your comment on a board with straight and flush draws and you have bottom set to fold. If it's a straight draw - you have nearly the exact same outs as the villain would for hitting a boat as they would hit their straight. Generally I don't call all-ins or 3 bets here with bottom set, but I don't always automatically fold.

The problem in omaha really are sets. Learning how to play them and how to either extract value or when to fold them is a very key part to Omaha because they may not happen every single hand, they do happen quite often (I'd probably say ~5 or 10 hands out of a 100, give or take 3).

There really is no set way to play sets because 9/10 times the play will have to be board dependent and read based for someone to say, "Yes raise all in" or "Easy fold";