View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Massive self destructive tendencies. Need advice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose being an adult and accepting you need to practice self control is out of the question?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he wasn't able to accept that I doubt he would have made this post asking for help to begin with. This is psych, people are allowed to have problems here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you are right I never have accepted the fact that I am in control and that it is me who is ultimately responsible for my own actions. I love to pass blame to something else, like bad luck or blame the fact that I was born this way and I am unchangeable. I say to my brother who lives with me and also plays poker that "you don't know how it feels to be me."

Another piece of the puzzle: My rage is much less severe when no one is in the house. I don't think I've damaged anything when alone. This holds true in golf as well. When I play by myself I generally stay fairly calm. My entire life I have had problems unmatched when it comes down to losing.

I actually think I know the right steps to get myself under control I just refuse to sit down and make a plan because of laziness.

I just really hate to think I no longer can do anything competitive because I erupt, but thats what its looking like. I really will try and not play poker until I come up with some semblance of a plan.

Thanks for all the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed Greek - I thought you would reply negatively.

So many people are looking for reasons why they are like they are. Whatever the reason (dad beat me up, mum didn't love me, big sister dressed me in girls clothes, uncle did bad things to me, school bully stabed me with pencils......) you do not have to let it dictate the future.

Put the past where it belongs - don't let it affect how you react from today. You can't change what has gone, but you own the future.

Good luck - take control, only you can do it.