View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Phoning It In: Actor Tics and Mannerisms Through the Ages

Some mannerisms that are due a revival I think:

1. The scowl

Eastwood was the king of this, most notably in his many Westerns, and probably set in stone in his premiere as a leading man in 'For a Fistful of Dollars' (ya didn't know that's it's proper title, did ya?), but also as the great Dirty Harry (well, great in 2 movies anyway).

Eastwood unfortunately so dominates the scowl card that it's hard to think of recent examples in American cinema (which is the point of this thread I guess) other than it being a mainstay of Russell Crowe, but I'm sure it's in Ed Norton's repertoire.

2. Moving eyebrows

I guess there are a number of older proponents of this, including Michael Keaton, Johnny Depp, Christian Slater, and going back further James Stewart. There is of course the master eyebrow mover Jack Nicholson, but I feel a bit more jiggling eyebrows might be in order for someone.

Honorable mention to Roger Moore who managed to boil down the cool of Bond into a single eyebrow lift (sometimes).

3. The whole performance is a whole set of mannerisms

Recently, this crown probably goes to Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, who grunts and growls out that Keith Richards' impression, while starggering around and mugging at the camera, and generally not just chewing the scenery but tearing large chunks out of it and swallowing it without chewing.

Lifetime award must go to William Shatner though, who elevating mannerisms (both in gesture, weird vocal patterns and volumes ("it's my.....SHIP...and-I'll-do-as-I-please"), and contorted facial expressions (once seen, 'KHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN' is hard to forget). Shatner made mannerisms an art form and Kirk is an indelible part of the cultural psyche (and I don't mean this ironically).

We need some up and comers trying some of these out.