View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: pictures of girls in threads

As you know, (from memory, without my rereading it), apart from the basic circumvention of the profanity filter by a moderator, the themed complaint in the previous discussion thread was because of the photos. No one seemed to care about the actual content, presumably owing to the general level of content in the forum to which it was posted, originally.

NT!(?) suggested sending it to Travel for you to edit out the multi-copied profanity circumventions, which seemed like a good idea to me. When you agreed by PM, I deleted the photos and shipped it, locked.

I gave my reason for deleting the very clear front face and body photograph, (and copies), of two girls, (in the context of the content of your OP), as that in this day and age, "everyone" plays poker, and, imo, there are very good odds that someone, somewhere, who knows one or both of these girls and who plays poker is highly likely to read Twoplustwo and see and recognise them, with embarrassing, (to say the least), real life consequences. (Poker is not like soccer, or baseball, or whatever, where there are many thousands of well-read forums where you could spend a lifetime browsing without bumping into someone you know. If you play poker and read associated forums you are very likely to read Twoplustwo, whoever or wherever in the entire world you are.)

I suggested that if you wanted to repost the photos during your editing, you should consider first blurring out their faces, entirely. At least there would be some arguable doubt if the girls' fathers or brothers or uncles or friends thought they recognised the girls' dresses.

Overall, my thinking on this leans towards the compassionate.

I don't think it is at all fair to post photos of someone, without their knowledge, within a thread of such graphically sexual content.

Whether or not there could be a case of libel is somewhat secondary to me owing to this, but I would imagine that it wouldn't be all that difficult to at least start a case against Twoplustwo, and cost Twoplustwo money and hassle, if such an easily identifiable person felt their reputation had been seriously damaged, say, because a high-profile employer saw the thread and fired the girl.

When there are no Rules in place, I've always thought it is reasonable to act as if the primary Rule would be, "We are all gentlemen", and I think this and other similar situations can be covered under such an umbrella with little objective argument.