View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker - LONG & Low Content

Janelle; you've not failed to impress me since i started seeing some posts by you in the past couple of weeks.

This is an amazing post; there are not a lot of players out there who can actually take the time to sit back and assess how and why non-poker issues can start to affect their poker.

I was stuck in a rut for long time after going busto. When i did play i was playing badly; i was depressed etc etc...

it took a very close friend to turn around and say 'i dont consider you a friend at the moment' for me to actually take a good look at my life and make some changes.

I was fortunate; another friend rang me up with a plan to stake me and 6 months on ive made money every month (allbeit not much)

More importantly I'm thinking about the game well; am constantly browsing here and on the phone chatting about hands, plays and strategy.

Even more importantly i'm enjoying life again, my self confidence has returned... i met (and broke up with) a lovely girl. My mental wellbeing is good.

The trick to this game before everything is the ability to beat your self; you have shown maturity and an ability to think beyond the game itself.

A break is a fine idea; especially given the circumstances....sometimes a five minute break to get off tilt is called for, other times a much longer break is needed; just like any other job.

I hope your boyfriends mother recovers; keep well and good luck