View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: NL - unimproved middling overpairs (best line in theory)

[ QUOTE ]
So the conservative approach is best I feel when you aren't sure of the reads. That means making either one stab on the flop or calling one bet, and then shutting down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree that discretion is the better part of valor here. IMO, however, check-calling in this spot, heads up and out of position, is atrocious unless Villain is passive - and I mean 'scared of his own shadow' passive. A free card buys us virtually nothing here - we're 22:1 against to hit - and obviously C/C gives us 0 fold equity.

I often like a C/R here as it does carry a lot of FE as compared to our likely range of pot equity. 100BB stacks are enough that this move won't pot commit us (though below about 60BB this becomes a real consideration), which is good b/c when our C/R gets called (never mind 3-bet) we are ahead, to two decimal places, approximately never.

With shorter stacks (say the 60BB from above) I usually prefer to float and shut down to a raise. I might two-barrel the turn if I get flat-called, but that's verrrry read-dependent.

Mook