Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Baseball managers are vastly overrated

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm
Really?

What does my boss do anyway? Just delegates assignments and organizes us, handles talking to other bosses, is approachable and has a knowledge base, designs projects...

Managers make the big decisions. They also make the smaller ones you don't know about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your boss get paid a couple million bucks a year to do that? Just because their is a small supply of world class baseball players does not meant that there is an even smaller supply of world class baseball managers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the skill set and knowledge base you pay for, as well as ability to deal well with both players and media. There are not many people who have that experience that can represent the team so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you're telling me that there is such a small supply of baseball managers that teams have no choice but to throw millions of dollars at a guy like Dusty Baker, not once, not twice, but three times? When there are thousands of people in this country qualified to work for NASA for far less pay than a MLB manager receives, I highly doubt that there are only fifty or so guys with the skill set to make a double switch and figure out bullpen assignments. It's just a hugely inefficient system.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. great point! I'm even more convinced now...