View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Personal Question: Stress and Success

[ QUOTE ]
if this deserves to be in psych feel free to move it, but this has been more and more of an issue for me and i'd some outside opinions and those are usually good coming out of here.

i am currently an HS senior applying to colleges and have begun to notice a trend in my thought process; the better i do the more i feel i haven't done well enough. i never really noticed this before but recently it has come up a lot, i really began to work harder this year because of college apps and all that. i recently got my latest SAT and quarter grades which were both my best ever, receiving a 3.83 unweighted and a 2250 on the SAT. for a day or two i was very happy with this, then after that all i have thought about is how i could have done better and all the things i haven't done that i should. i never noticed it much before but if i think back it is has happened before, but never with this severity. i am wonder if this is unhealthy psychologically, i feel like i should be a lot happier with what i have done but cannot seem to be happy with what i have done and just am upset or stressed out about what i haven't done yet. thanks to any responses, this is something that i have been dwelling on more and more these past few weeks

[/ QUOTE ]
get a grip man. If you can't enjoy college then you'll never manage to be happy - it don't get much better. Wine, women, song and good quality drugs. Do a bit of work but college aint tough, enjoy it.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the things that make you happy and the things you do for career and achievement shouldn't be linked.

[/ QUOTE ]
really bad advice imo. A huge chunk of your life is spent working. If you don't find it satisfying then its bad news and if it makes you want to puke at the thought of going to work its a disaster. People who love their jobs have a major advantage; teachers who love teaching, researchers who love research, me who loves sitting at home watching cricket and listening to music etc etc.

chez