View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Newb Question - Buying a stock 101

[ QUOTE ]
Pat, what is your goal? Are you going to be trading in and out? How much money are you using? Don't answer these here because it is none of our business, but what are you intending to do?

Day trade? Invest (buy and hold)? Buy something going into earnings? Short sell? Options?

Most firms won't let you short unless you have extensive experience in the markets because of the risk.

Scott and Brown are both cheap and your money would be safe with them. No hidden charges outside of the commission they charge and you can usually get your money by writing a check, unless it is margined against a position and then you would have to close a position that would cover your check.

If you are buying 10 shares of something and pay $7 it has to move $1.40 in your favor before you are break even. If you buy 5000 share it only has to move $.02 before you are good.

Do some more homework and good luck.

Recommend you use limit orders instead of market orders too. Good luck and be sure to do your homework. Trading is not a "get rich quick" plan like so many people think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to buy a large volume of a specific stock that I will be holding onto for 1-2 years. After this first one I may start buying into others.

Basically im just looking for a easy low cost method to do this.