View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 AM

Default ZOMG - Gramps Only Took 3.75 Years to Make 1600 Posts!

A long time ago, in a world far away...I registered for 2+2 here at my friend's bequest back in Feb. '04 - I'd read the Sklansky books, becoming a winning LHE 6-max 1-tabler at low stakes, and was like ZOMG Pokertracker! ZOMG 3-tables at once! ZOMG there's almost 30,000 people on Party and everyone thinks the end of online poker is nigh! Started playing 3 tables of $2/4 full-table limit on Party and making $25/hour. Was dying to take on some out-of-the-box challenge in life where I could work for myself and make at least a half-way decent living - let's do this [censored]!

Started messing with SNGs in the summer of '04 and realized people pushed really tight and called really tight when the blinds were big late game - Party SNGs = $$. I was really rough around the edges, had some not-so-fun swings at times along the way, but feel like I've improved every year.

I still make a ton of mistakes, probably play my "B game" or "C game" most of the time, but with the $$ mostly in volume this year, I've been able to crank out a bunch of hours and still earned a good chunk of change aside from RB/bonus. Hope to have a good last two months in '07, crank out a bunch of SNGs in 2008, and continue to improve my game and adjust well to whatever changes take place.

It seems like a lot of people make good Pooh-Bah posts and say what I would say, so I'm probably just repeating most things, but here's a top-5 characteristics of what I'd like to see in someone to become a top SNG'r/poker player:

(1) Threshold level of aptitude:

(2) Belief/confidence that can be maintained through exteme adversity, balanced with an understanding that you can fall into bad habits/be wrong at times:

(3) Ability to handle the emotion/stress/unfairness of the game:

(4) Understanding that correct strategy is largely determinant on your opponents’ play, ability to identify changes in your opponents thinking/play, knowing what adjustments to make to those changes, and making the correct adjustments:

(5) Choosing to have a positive mindset in poker/life:

I'll rant a little in regards to #5, because a lot of us poker players seem to suck at it so often - Yes, it is a choice. Yes, a large part of your reality is shaped by how you perceive yourself and the world around you. If you suck at thinking happy thoughts, well, it's kind of a learned trait - just like anything it takes practice, and even after you learn it you may have setbacks. And I don't mean go Stuart Smalley on the world, but just being appreciative of what you have, taking time to smile and laugh (hey, it can still be at the expense of other people). You can still be a competitive [censored] a-hole when you have to.

Those with purpose, positive belief, bounceback, and a willingness to work hard for what they want will probably go very far in life. Doesn't mean things won't frustrate the [censored] out of you at times, but you'll be playing the game with with a stacked deck (do not insert any "sucked out by dominated hand" comments in said analysis please).

Out!

P.S. If anyone has any strategy questions or other questions about SNGs, I'd be happy to give my opinions here. Feel free to fire away.