View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Ask Howard Treesong About Law or Lawyering

[ QUOTE ]
There are like a thousand sex crime related statutes that disagree with you on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking you're referring to things like registration statutes and residency limitations. I suspect without knowing that those are pitched as preventive measures rather than as additional punishments. I also could easily be missing your point, so if I am please describe one of the statutes to which you refer.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm a libertarian gun-nut and I would not feel the slightest bit of outrage if those guys were summarily put to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morally, I'm 100% with you. The guys that did this are total scum. But I don't think animals have rights per se; I think they are property -- and the rights violation here is to the property of the animal's owner.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to tangent the thread, just pointing out that you've likely misidentified the philosophical underpinnings of your implied narrow view on what constitutes cruelty to animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I have a narrow view of what is cruel to animals, but rather what should be criminalized.