View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Fold this AK PF?

[ QUOTE ]
You're most likely against a pair. Your M was about 11 when you started the hand. If you fold, it's down to 9 and you're going to be in push-fold mode and you might not pick up a hand better than AK before you need to push. there is always the chance that this could be a re-steal with air or a weaker ace or a suited connector.

so I would call. 2nd choice fold. all-in re-raise is bad b/c only better hands are going to call you. call and go is bad b/c you're pot committed by the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call is obv. worst play unless you like to commit almost 1/2 your stack preflop and then think about folding on flop. So it's either all-in or fold. Against a solid player he's probably reraising JJ+/AK/AQ(? dunno about last one). You have AK so there are 3 combos of AA, 3 combos of KK, 9 combos of AK, 12 combos AQ (lets cut it in half to be fair so 6) and 6 combos of QQ and JJ each. It's late so I have to forego the math but I think it's pretty close between pushing and folding. Since you are behind his range and only a big favorite against AQ, I don't think folding is terrible. You've both been showing down solid hands so I don't think he is doing this with a much wider range. It also might encourage him to come over the top of you again when you have a hand you like better.

Even though pushing AK in a tournament is often +EV, there are situations where you can get rid of it. Villian wants to go all the way with his hand considering his raise, so don't feel bad if you fold it here. However I wouldn't fault a push either in order to try to double up, gotta make some gambles and a simple reraise shouldn't consistently keep you from making moves.