View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: 10/25 tough river spot with JJ

I don't know the villain, but I don't think the flop raise is strange. That size raise is usually my standard when I'm calling liberally in position, and want to play many different hands the same way. But given that, I think I would reraise the flop to about 800. That should stop all of his pure bluffs. It also puts him in a tough spot with a draw since by shoving he risks getting it all-in with only around 35-40% equity, and he is forced to waste his positional advantage by getting all-in. But a good player can certainly play QQ-AA like this, and they won't shove a hand that JJ ever dominates. So although it seems like we are turning JJ into a bluff, I don't think thats the case, and even if we do turn the hand into a bluff it may be a most EV way to play the hand. When he flat calls, I would check/fold a spade/K/A turn and c/r AI on a blank. You still get stacked by sets, but KK/QQ slows down on a A, and he may try a huge semibluff on the turn this way since he'll put you on a bluff usually but won't have enough showdown value to make taking a free card worth it. Thoughts on this line?

The river is pretty tough, but I agree with the previous poster that its closer to a fold since he doesn't know much about yourgame.