View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Performance related arguments are all outdated. FWIW I have always driven manual and still do, but the only reason manuals aren't obsolete is because of cost. There is technology out there that will outperform a manual transmission in every way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know enough about cars to refute this but if this statement is true then why is this technology not offered on higher end sports car?

Last time I bought a performance car where price considerations were not an issue the dealership didn't mention this technology as an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but i believe he's talking about tiptronic transmission, which originated in formula 1, and is now featured in several sports cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're half right, I'm referring to any design of dual clutch transmissions, which is not tiptronic but it is the type used in F1 cars. Mitsubishi calls it TC-SST and uses it in the Lancer Evo X, Audi calls it S-Tronic and is used in the TT.

A dual clutch transmission is mechanically similar to a manual transmission, but shifting is nearly seamless (~10ms), which means not only is acceleration better, but you can shift gears while turning aggressively (if you're taking a turn in a manual car as fast as it can go, interrupting power long enough to shift gears WILL cause you to lose control no matter how great of a driver you are).

The only drawback is the cost associated with developing a new technology, but in terms of performance there is no argument that these transmissions are superior to old school MTs in every way. So while they are expensive and most likely unavailable to the car OP is considering, the fact that this technology DOES exist in a practical form makes all these arguments centered around how you're a pansy if you drive anything other than a fully MT pretty lame IMO.