View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Pm received by a few of us. Not sure what to think.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I do think NT!'s whole googletarding thing is a bit much. I wish we would stop losing sight of 2+2 as a community. When chesspain or another respected poster posts about where to go and what to do in a certain city, he's relying on the community's knowledge to help him out. It's the community that brings people back to this site; I doubt this whole "googletarding" stuff does nearly to the same extent.

Also, this whole "post it in the Travel forum" thing is crap. Very few people go there. If you're looking for certain ideas on how to handle certain issues in certain countries then I guess it's fine, but if your thing is "having dinner tonight in NYC, suggestions?" then the five people that read that forum won't help you out nearly as quickly as the 160 average readers that are on OOT will.

[/ QUOTE ]

if chesspain ever posted in OOT other than to nit up the occasional thread i might be worried about keeping him coming back.

it's not that you're not allowed to make posts looking for advice or asking for help. i have let many such threads live in the last month. there are explicit instructions in the sticky about how to do it. it involves doing some of the legwork yourself and at least trying to ask a question that others will be interested in.

this is a topic which i have taken the time to address in great detail in the sticky, which apparently tuq didn't bother to read either. i am not hearing any outcry from OOT posters over googletarding - i am hearing it from people who wander into the forum having never posted there, and i am hearing it from mods who have nothing better to do than complain.

i don't even lock every OOT thread that involves googletarding. it involves discretion and judgment like everything else.

EDIT: and sending people to the travel forum was not my idea, i always said nobody posts there. i was asked to help give the smaller forums a chance to thrive by redirecting traffic there, and i have. so blame that one on all the loudmouth busybodies who tried to tell me how to run OOT last time around.