View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Air pollution and a case for government (long)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two comments, one of which has nothing to do with your main hypothesis. The one that is relevant is the $.40 value that your consumer has place on others pollution..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I made them close so I didnt get the "but people donnt discount that much" argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you wouldnt get that argument from the naysayers because the more you discount the less your equation supports your premise.

Also I forgot to comment on this:

"In the example, the government does not have a conceptual differnce between "me" and "everyone else" that every person does. Thus, they assess the situation and pass a law that forces everyone to get the procedure done."

In the real world the government is just as "nimby" as individuals, either because the representative places his own welfare over his professed the beliefs and the desires of his constituency (Robert Kennedy) , or the constituency itself has discounted the detriment to others over their own selfish concerns or unfounded fears (the anti-nuclear energy crowd, endless blocks to development using environmental fanaticism etc).