View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: What really grinds my gears ...

I obviously agree with making games longer. Whenever I get a game I pretty much always start on the second to highest difficulty level, it seems to help at least. Most games today have enough story and surprise elements in it too that it kills replay value IMO, so lengthening is definitely needed.

Agreed too that most games should be able to add a multiplayer function that works well pretty easily. Im no expert though. I do worry though that some games end up saying "yea well the single player is way short but theres multiplayer so it balances out." Halo3 and CoD4 are examples of this to me, but I'm a single player dinosaur so my complaining is probably off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Vehicles are hit or miss IMO. I actually thought in HL they were a great addition, but the bat shooting level in GOW was just annoying and felt like a tackon to make it appear at least that they were somewhat varied in gameplay. That stuff was a pain in the ass on Insane. I dont play UT but vehicles in that just seem bizarre.

If I had to pick my own it would be writing talent. I know videogames aren't novels or movies, but what video game developers seem to think of as fascinating story lines are just sooooo gay to me most of the time. I know it's pretty much not how the industry works, but the integration of solid programmers and solid writers could do wonders for the industry IMO.