View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Ron Paul\'s racist comments

I figured to start a new thread here, to keep it out of the other RP threads, and focus solely on the issue of the racial comments attributed to him that he continually defended as being accurate "in context of current events".

Basically, even though I agree with the majority of Paul's platform otherwise, I'm having trouble justifying supporting him.... considering this questionable history of despicably racist comments.

A complete summary of those comments can be found here, where the Houston Chronicle reported in 1996 on the racist and anti-semitic comments that were published in Ron Paul's newsletter, and attributed to him as author in 1992.

For the purpose of discussion, I wanted to be as objective as possible, thus limit it to indisputable facts from credible sources regarding the racial comments from Paul's newsletter.

FACTS:

1992 - Racial comments appear by "Ron Paul" in Paul's newsletter.

1996 - Paul defends comments and asserts they are his own to the Houston Chronicle.

2001 - Paul claims he did not write the comments, asserts a staffer did, yet still defends them as being "in context" in an interview with Texas Monthly.

2007 - "Unnamed sources" in an article on "Freemarketnews" claims Paul's campaign have nothing to do with newsletter, it was written by outside source.

(I'm not familiar with the credibility of "Freemarketnews.com", as I've never seen them before, and the credibility of "unnamed sources" is obviously dubious.....but even so, it has been asserted as credible by Borodog, so I'll list it here for the purpose of objectivity.)

Questions that arise:

1. Why did Paul claim they were his words and defend them 4 years later, in 1996, if he initially disagreed with them as is claimed in 2007?

2. Why did Paul wait 9 years to finally claim they weren't his words in 2001? And even then, why did he still defend them as being accurate "in the context of current events"?

3. When was this staffer "fired" as has been asserted? No credible source exists that I can find.