View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Review of Pot Limit and No Limit Poker by Stewart and Ciaffone

I finished pot limit and no limit poker by stewart and Ciaffone. There were a few insightful points about big bet poker but frankly I did not like this book at all. I found the author's over reliance on specific hand examples again and again which concluded with them informing the reader "this is a fold, call,or raise" without much in the way of concrete reasoning which could be applied elsewhere to be confusing and boring. Additionally the tone of the authors in how they viewed limit poker, their opponents at time even the reader to be annoying. The book had sections on various forms of poker which I don't play and I found myself skipping over them. There was a section on game theory concerning bluffing on the end which I thought was interesting and like I said there were some insightful parts which could be of value in river play.

Overall I would only recommend this book to the most avid of poker reader and would consider it inferior to even the free forums. It should also be said that it is much more an PLO book than NLH and I think the title in misleading in what respect.

Pot limit and No Limit Holdem by Reuben and Ciaffone [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]