View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Establishing a \"healthy\" body weight

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most common things I hear from people who ask my advice, or what I do to train etc, is "I have a bad..." knee/shoulder/back etc. 99% fo the time, they dont and are over analyzing things, Im of the school, if you arent 100lbs overwieght, if you havent had surgery, suck it up, and workout, done right, rarely will you get hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "bad" knees I've mentioned come from injuries sustained in tournaments, unfortunately to both knees. MCL on one knee (sprain), and LCL on the other. Neither required surgery.

The main thing I'm inquiring about, I guess, is what the best way of actually establishing a target weight is so that I can minimize the long-term strain on my knees. Basically it's my way of saying "I'm going to run, I'm going to play ultimate, and I'd like to minimze the strain." I've just never really had an idea of how to establish where I should be weightwise -- it's much easier to measure fitness.

Just read your edit about grabbing skin around the torso, which I can definitely do. Good baseline for knowing that I need to lose weight for sure.

Complicating matters a bit more is that I'm also a type-1 (insulin-dependent) diabetic, so I've had issues with weight loss due to the lack of production of amylin. Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll start on a synthetic version of that (this is all really an aside but I guess goes into why I have no clue what I actually should weigh, given my bodytype, etc.).

Rob