View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Car mods; restoration; rehab; audio thread

[ QUOTE ]
guids,
how did you handle the body/rust restoration? Did you send it to a shop? Or did you do it yourself? I think that's the major issue with restoring a car yourself. You need welders and other equipment to do the job right. It's probably worth it in most cases to send it out for repair. I think interior and engine rebuilds can be done at home easier than bodywork.

I had a '56 VW bug (oval window), it had a nice body, needed a bit of work, and I didn't have the resources to work on the body. I ended up selling it. Wish I hadn't now, but I didn't have much of a choice. I was pretty lazy at the time, but I did get some engine work done.

I will buy another old bug, and I plan on building a hot motor for it. If anyone's restored a car and has pictures, it would be cool to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a 12 car garage my dad inherited, and more equipment (welders, plasma, small sand baster etc) than anyone should ever have. My dad repairs that stuff, so he has a lot of connections w/ people calling him saying "if you can fix it, take it, becuase I want it out of the house/shop etc", so he gets a lot of free stuff.

if you dont have an actual shop shop w/ equiipment, I cant imagine how you would be able to do this stuff, and would probably be cheaper just to pay someone to do it all by the time you purchase everything. I grew up in a car guys house hold though, we have had tons of them moving in and out, and my dad spends about 5 hours every day (at least) over in the garage working on stuff.