View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Assani vs the StatHeads: Evaluating NFL QBs

[ QUOTE ]
But do you not see how hypocritical you're being??!!! On one hand, you're saying that while a QB may be the most important position on the field, we cannot give him all the credit/blame for the W-L stat. But then you're raising other stats, and completely ignoring teamates/system! The truth is that all stats(including W-L) are greatly influenced by surrounding talent and system and changes made to the roster and coaching and a ton of other variables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a nice post but I disagree with this paragraph. While all stats do depend on surrounding talent, some stats are more dependent on it than others. I would argue that W-L is the most teammate-dependent of any stats. Stats like DVOA are the least dependent because they compare how two players perform in the same situation (e.g. third and long). Obv a QB with great WR's still has a big advantage over a QB with bad ones.

The other problem I have with most of your posts is that although you claim to watch lots of games, your posts merely compare rosters and they never seem to mention actual observations that you made while watching games. For example you were arguing in another thread that the Titans defense was better last year than this year because they lost their best player in Pacman Jones. IMHO it's blindingly obvious that that defense is way better this year than last but it's like you ignore the possibility that some of the players on their roster have got a whole lot better in the past year and a half. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm sure you do watch a lot of games, but I can't help but wonder sometimes.