View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Hitting my driver

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't transfer your weight BEFORE your downswing...do it AS you're making your downswing into your followthrough.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

The first move "down" is to transfer teh weight back to your left side. That is what "starts" the downswing for any good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that a lot of weekend golfers will take this advice and start sliding their hips towards the target to "begin" their downswing. Then everything is all out of whack and by the time they get to impact their arms are way behind everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, when they take the image of shifting their weight to initiate the downswing, they overdo it and it causes tonnes of problems...including wicked back problems because they get on their left side too fast so they lose the power from the legs and try to make up for it with the back/arms. So, it's as if they had their weight on their left side the whole time...which is why I said what I said.

Instead, they should feel that they start the downswing with their legs, but the full weight transfer isn't there until at/after impact - which is true. The FEELING of the weight transfer isn't actually there until after impact because the continual power supply from the legs makes it feel that there is still weight on the right side (because there is, in a way).

There's a very big difference between what actually happens, and what it feels like. So, when you're giving advice, it's important to know that difference. Telling people that they should be shifting their weight to start the downswing is a very complicated concept for people who don't know what it feels like...so you have to describe it differently, even if it's not what 'actually' happens.