View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Players Commenting on my tightness

[ QUOTE ]
I play 5/10 NL in b & m settings, and sometimes when I am playing players will comment/complain to me that I play too tight/he doesn't play any hands, etc.. While I play, I do not comment on anyone's play or style. I try and keep very quiet and to myself. If this happens to anyone else, how do you deal with it? I usually just say nothing back and ignore them, but it eats at me a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great. You should be polite and encourage their belief that you are super tight. That way you can OCCASIONALLY bluff into a decent regular who will fold to you where he might call someone else, you can "semi-bluff raise" occaisionally to steal a "family" pot that gets limped to you in BB when you have junk like Q9s, and you can periodically loosen up some on the button preflop to steal uncontested pots post flop with just about any two cards. You can raise 78s in EP, then win a small pot with most continuation bets, or a big one when you flop a straight vs some guy's 2-pair that he figures "must be good" vs your obviously "overpair." Etc. Etc.

Essentially, you are in a great spot. Not only should you NOT be worried or upset by their comments, but you should do and say things to subtly encourage their pigeon-holing you as a rock so that you can take advantage of their perception by occasionally loosening up in critical spots vs opponents that think you're too solid to mess with.