View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Pennsylvania game robbed

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just saw this and thought I'd shed a little light.

The game was hosted by a group that runs local games in a different area of town pretty much every day of the week. The Wednesday game at the Italian Club was one of the newer spots. The Italian Club is some kind of private club but mainly just used as a banquet hall. I had played the game once only because my parents live minutes away and I just happened to be visiting my parents that day.

The group started out mainly as a main tournament ($50+$10) with single tables before and after and some cash games after but has since moved to where cash games are dominant. They now start before the tournmant and more games with higher stakes are spread.

I used to frequent a game they had on Saturday nights when I wouldn't be out boozing, which was located in a restaurant that would close early and transform into a poker room. I stopped going because the lack of security. I started looking around and counting how much was "live" and I came up with ~ $50,000. I'm sure with some of the states spread, people were carrying a total of a lot more. Not only were these games highly advertised, there was ZERO security. They counted the money and kept the chips behind a little closet door, but other than that, nothing.

I decided to quit playing because I figured it was only time before someone took up the oppertunity. This was the Wednesday spot that got hit, a game that ends up a lot smaller than the Saturday spot I frequent (and the Friday spot was the crowdest of them all).

A work buddy still goes and plays. He told me they now have security present but I think I'll continue to pass.