View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Re: the correlation between language, thoughts and intelligence

Bilingualness is weird.

I think my bilingual GF mostly acts the same whichever language she is speaking.
Maybe a little different with Spanish but that might be as much a cultural/family thing than anything.
People from Peru and Venezuela are a bit different than people from the U.S. afterall.
And people act differently with their parents or brother than they do with their BF or other friends.

It's funny listening to her and her brother chat on the phone. They both grew up in South America but both took a ton of english classes and have slightly accented but otherwise mostly perfect english.
His accent is stronger than hers.
Anyway, they alternate between english and spanish from one sentence to the next a lot of the time.
Usually has nothing to do with trying to keep part of the conversation private or anything like that. It's just comfortable for them.
If she's speaking in english, and then comes to a word that comes to her in spanish then she switches. And they'll yap in spanish until they get to a point where she first thinks of the english version of a word.

She does this with her best friend also.

Obviously her instincts prevent her from doing anything like that with me. She has VERY rarely said "si" instead of "yes" around me and that is about it.
Same thing mostly with her parents on the phone who speak no english but she does occasionally interject an english phrase with them like "exactly" or "I don't know" instead of the spanish phrase and probably doesn't realize it.

What's weird is that she can only do it instinctually.
If I ask her "how do you say such-and-such in spanish" she has to really stop and think and it's like she temporarily can't access that part of her brain.
Even for really simple phrases that I know she knows because, well, Spanish his her native language afterall.

So she can go back and forth when chatting with her brother just fine.
But when she's just talking with me then her brain shifts to english-only mode.
If the pressure is on and she has to think of spanish for "turkey" or "fish" or something insanely simple she occasionally draws a total blank.

And completely forget about confirming the correctness of a phrase with her.
If I say, "Is such-and-such how you say, 'The blue cars are on the road'?" she'll think about it and then say "Yes, that's right."
Then she'll stop and think, "Wait, that's not right at all. The word order is all messed up. It's like this."

Thus, even though her spanish and english are both close to perfect she is pretty much the worst Spanish teacher ever because of how her brain accesses each language or something.