View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 5: Pot Control

I've got a question on the subject of pot control. Throughout the book I picked up on the idea of playing a small pot with just top pair by betting the flop and checking the turn and possibly just cc the river.

I've tried it out online with hands like weak aces and such and the turn check seems to be screaming weakness to the players I'm against. Like if I have A3 diamonds and it comes A-7-5 rainbow, if I bet the flop and get called by one player and the turn brings a blank and I check it seems to be insta pot bet just to test me, and I'm usually facing the commitment threshold at this point. Most of the time I think my opponent just thought I was trying to steal on the flop and all I've got is top pair with pathetic kicker but I still feel it might usually be best but I'm folding because I don't wan't to play a big pot with this type of one pair hand. Is there anything I'm doing wrong here or am I just playing weak?

I'm trying to learn to keep 1 pair hands small so I don't overcommit all the time with them or cross the threshold. Help me out if you can with this common type of situation