View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Kindle: Amazon\'s new wireless reading device

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was pretty clear that the advantage of digital books isn't in ease of reading, but rather in distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's a bad assumption. with digital books you gain the possibility control fonts and text size. there aren't binding issues or offset printing. if typos or errors are present, they can be corrected in a revision. upgrade pricing for new versions of technical books also becomes an option. so do alternate languages. you can perform word searches. highlights and page noting are virtual, and can be undone. as i already mentioned, holding the book open and dealing with weight or high page counts become non-issues. all that stuff is just off the top of my head.

so as long as the screen is at least as readable with no eye fatigue issues, i can see a ton of advantages. so much that if a one-off digital book were side-by-side with a print version, i would opt for the former if the prices were close and component waste wasn't an issue - even without revisions or upgrades. that hypothetical effectively ignores distribution.