View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Why is that Donk Dario Minieri sponsored?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His style is so high variance that he very well could be a donkey most of the time when his bluffs don't work, but the variance in large field donkaments is so ridiculously high that the chance of him ever getting a good enough sample to say if his style is optimal or even profitable is slim to 0. but lucky for him he ran good on a couple of donkaments and has the lack of a life to grind out that many FPPs so now he is sponsored and famous.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Seriously are there still people who don't understand that this is the backstory of almost every TV or big donkament pro???

EDIT: I'll continue my rant, cuz this really gets under my skin. You are saying we shouldn't bash him because his high variance style looks bad sometimes. Your statement contradicts itself. If his style is that high variance it is just as likely that when he actually wins he is just running like god as it is likely that when he looks like a donk he's just running bad. Do you realize how many people use his style of blind aggression?? Do you realize the % of them that will never make a big final table? The % of them you will never hear about that play the WSOP or EPT the same way? How many big 5k-10k events are there a year? Less than 100? These players get the glory because when they run good their chipstacks tend to swing in a much more dramatic fashion. Is he a complete donk? Probably not. Does the fact that he was successful in a small sample of high variance events using an extremely high variance style make him a great player above being berated in BBV? Absolutely [censored] not.

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem to use variance as a crutch for everything that happens in a donkament. Win= lucky, Lose = unlucky. You talk as if these are new ideas, really you have to run good to win a huge field tourney? Jeez didn't notice that before.

There is still some skill involved and there is a difference between aggression and blind aggression. I havent seen Dario play enough to tell which he is, but people who say he is a donkey piss me off because they haven't seen enough of him either.

Its the same argument against anybody who does well in tournaments, everyone just says they are huge luckboxes. To a certain extent obviously someone like annette has to run good to win the WSOPE but does that make her an overaggressive donkey? Or is it jealousy that makes her that?