View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: For fathers: remember when you first became a daddy?

I can remeber mine. WE had just closed on a house with the baby 3 weeks away. My wife goes to her doctor's appointment when it is decided that because of her high blood pressure and gestational diabetes that they are going to induce the baby early. Since I am unavailable, they decide to ambulance her to the hospital. When I get home there is a message that she is in the hospital and will be induuced in the morning. I give her a call and we decide that before I come see her that I must go buy a criba and other baby furniture and set up the nursury sop that is what I do (taking time out to watch the eighth inning of Ken Burn's baseball documentary because I have yet to miss an episode). Worked all night and got the nursurty set up.

After a short nap, I go to the hospital. They are just about ready to give my wife the inducing med and break her water. We go throgh the labor stuff and because of the hifgh blood pressure they will not let her do all this avant gaurde birthing technique business that she learned. They made her stay on her back and wait.

Later that afternoon her entire family arrived and they all wanted to be in the room for the delivery. Finally we decided that her sister could come in but, at my wife's insistence, I kept the others out.

Anyway, we progress into early ebvening and the ninth inning of Ken Burns baseball documentary is just about to come on when the baby decides he would like to watch. Long story short I missed the last show and I have never seen it yet. But on with the story, the little tyke comes out and they throw his tiny arse in an incubator and take him almost immediately to baby intensive care. They say as a precaution and I can go see him in 15 minutes.

I hang out with my wife for a little while when my mother-in-law barges in and starts yelling at everyone aboiut something. I get into my second real fiight with her when I tell her to leave ( the first was when I told her I would not cross a picket line so she could have the wedding reception at some cheaper hotel).

After about 10 minutes I go up to baby intensive care to see my son but he is not there. The lady at the desk doesn't know anything about him being sent up and I strat freaking out some. I go back down to my wife and there she is holding the baby. Apparently they decided he was healthy and didn't need observation on the way up to intensive care and brought him right back down. Ok, alls well.

The first time I remeber bonding with my son was later that night. I heard a baby crying in the hallway and knew instantly that it was him. They were bringing him down for a feeding. I stepped into the hallway and walked up to the nurse and took him from her. He stopped crying right away. Of course i started to cry because I figured one of us should be.